15 minutes total | 15 minutes active
This recipe was inspired by J. Kenji López-Alt’s video on oyakodon. While this is inspired by Oyakodon, it is in no way trying to be Oyakodon, particularly because of the lack of dashi. I will probably try to make Oyakodon at some point, but you’re definitely better off just watching Kenji’s video for info on that :)
- 3 eggs
- Soy sauce
- 3 Shiitake mushrooms
- 1 boneless skinless chicken thigh
- 1/2 yellow onion
- Sesame oil
- Olive oil
- Whisk eggs, a dash of soy sauce, and a drop of sesame oil until homogenous
- Dice onion, slice mushrooms, slice chicken thigh
- Add onion, chicken thigh, and mushrooms to an 8-inch nonstick pan with olive oil. Cook on medium heat until onions have browned and the chicken has cooked through.
- Switch stove to low heat
- Add egg mixture to pan and immediately cover. Cook until the sides of the egg have fully cooked through.
- Carefully fold omelette over and cut heat
- Let sit for 1 min so the omelette has a chance to bind together
- Serve! I like serving this with Sriracha; the heat and acidity cuts the depth of the sesame oil very nicely.
If you haven’t checked out Kenji’s channel, definitely give it a shot! He’s inspired a lot of my favorite everyday recipes.